What is Unity?
At its core, Unity is positive, everyday, hands-on, applied Christianity.
- We teach the effective daily usage of the principles of Truth as imparted and demonstrated by Jesus Christ.
- We promote a way of life that produces health, prosperity, gladness, and peace of mind. Unity has established centers of education and worship throughout the world.
- We address physical, mental, and emotional needs through affirmative prayer and spiritual education.
- We serve those who seek inspiration and prayer support.
- We believe that all people are created with sacred value, and we strive to reach out to those seeking a supportive spiritual growth.
- Our ministries and outreaches are free of discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, creed, religion, national origin, ethnicity, physical disability, and sexual orientation. We build spiritually aware organizations that are non-discriminatory and support diversity.
What time is the Sunday Service?
Sunday Service begins at 10:30 am, and it begins promptly at that time. We offer a guided Meditation before Service, which starts at 10:00 am. Our Sanctuary is located at 2222 Bush Street.
What happens after Service?
After Service, we offer a time for people to connect with each other while having a cup of coffee or tea in the lobby. Some Sundays, we offer classes, prayer groups, and concerts from our visiting musicians that convene after Service in our Sanctuary. For more information about our classes and events, please visit our calendar.
Do you offer a prayer ministry?
Yes! Our Prayer Chaplains are available to pray with you immediately following the service. mmediately following the service, Prayer Chaplains are available to pray with you. If you are curious about our Prayer Ministry, or if you would like to make a prayer request, we invite you to visit our Prayer page.
What are Unity’s basic teachings?
The basic ideas that underlie Unity are known as the Five Principles. They are:
- God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power. God is good and present everywhere.
- We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- There is power in affirmative prayer, which we believe increases our connection to God.
- Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.
We believe your spiritual life is enhanced through reflective prayer and meditation, and we encourage you to discover these teachings by incorporating them into your own spiritual understanding.
Does Unity practice baptism and communion?
Yes, symbolically. Baptism is a mental and spiritual procedure that takes place in a person as he or she aligns with the essence of God. This communion is received through prayer and meditation in the silence. The word of Truth is symbolized by the bread or body of Jesus Christ. The conscious realization of God-life is symbolized by the wine or blood of Jesus Christ. Unity practices communion by appropriating or sharing in the spiritual energy represented by these elements.
What is the role of the Bible in Unity?
The Bible is Unity’s primary textbook. Scripture happens in a person’s life when it is a clear and useful guide for present time experience.
Is Unity an offshoot of Christian Science?
No. Although Unity and Christian Science, as well as many other New Thought groups, trace their roots to the late nineteenth century, the practice of principles, approaches to teaching, and the organization of the two groups are quite different.
What does Unity teach about sin and salvation, heaven and hell?
Sin is our separation from God, the Good, in consciousness. Salvation is in the moment; it is not something that happens after death of the body. It occurs whenever we transform our thoughts, opinions, and views from fear, anxiety, worry, and doubt into feelings and beliefs of love, harmony, joy, and peace. The “fall” takes place in consciousness whenever we collapse into negative habits of thinking. Heaven and hell are states of consciousness, not geographic sites - thus, we create our own heaven or hell in this place, in this world, by our thoughts, words, and deeds.
What is the relationship of Unity to other churches?
Unity is a medium for communicating teachings; it provides inspiration and prayer and support for spiritual seekers, regardless of their religious affiliation. Unity liberally shares its knowledge with all churches.
Is there any connection between Unity and Unitarianism?
No, there is no connection, although there is sometimes confusion because of the similarity of the names. Each is a distinct organization with its own set of beliefs and practices.
Does Unity believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ?
Yes, however Unity explains that the spirit of God lived in Jesus, just as it lives in every person. Each person has the latent gift of expressing the perfection of Christ as Jesus did, by attuning to the Christ presence in everyday life.
Is Unity a denomination?
There are aspects of the Unity movement that are denominational, and other aspects that are not. For example, there are more than nine hundred Unity churches and study groups affiliated with Unity’s sister organization, the Association of Unity Churches International. This is the denominational feature of Unity. In addition, the Unity Institute at Unity Village trains approximately sixty students every two years to be Unity ministers. This is also denominational. However, the majority of the work done by Unity involves prayer, publishing, and education services to people of all faiths. These non-denominational aspects comprise a prayer ministry called Silent Unity Prayer Line, Unity’s non-denominational inspirational monthly magazine, called the Daily Word, numerous retreats and continuing education classes. These are open to everyone, and they impart Unity principles in non-denominational settings.